
This particular image has been haunting my imagination lately. I first saw it on Monday during my Victorian America class when we watched a video about the Influenza Epidemic of 1918. The children made up a little chant to jump rope to, and it goes like this:
I had a little bird,
It's name was Enza.
I opened the window,
and in flew Enza.
Then, throughout the video it would overlay that scene in a haze so that the chanting mixed in with the other background voices/crying/music, and it would also be used to have just the children's voices as background for a shot of multiple open graves, or hospital wards crammed full with beds and cots and other sprawled on the floors. It was eerie on Monday and it still makes this horribly stale pit in the bottom of my stomach.
But that could also connect to the fact that I came home early from rehearsal last night because I suddenly felt ill and discovered I had a fever.
Perhaps I opened my window, and in flew Enza.

No comments:
Post a Comment