Thursday, September 3, 2009

The Psalms according to Betsy

I'm thoroughly enjoying the Bible study I'm doing right now, which is a workbook written by Beth Moore called "Stepping UP: A journey through the Psalms of Ascent".  I haven't even been doing it a week, but I can tell already that God is going to teach me incredible things through this.  One of the things Beth has one do with each Psalm we study is re-write it in our own words.  Doing tasks like this has always been a big help to me because it forces me to really dig into what the passage is saying and processing it in my mind and ultimately finding ways that it uniquely applies to me right now.

Although it has been a surprisingly good day considering how things could have gone, I've been having a little bit of mental trouble.  I think that God is protecting my emotional side and my physical side right now but Satan is putting quite a lot of attack on my mind.  He's dragging my thoughts down into sad places where I just don't want to spend anymore time.  So, I thought I would take the time to post the two Psalms I've rewritten so far in the study.  Writing them one more time will only help to solidify them more in my mind, and that's the best way to get Satan out.

My Psalm 120

When stress overwhelmed me, I cried out to God and He held my heart as an answer.
God, guard my heart against deception and block the lies they send my way.
Watch out, you who lie and plot against someone, God will throw your lies and plans back at you, but they will become like the arrows of a warrior and flaming coals as they hit you.
The worst place for me to be emotionally is right where I find myself to be now.  I'm surround by situations that ignore peace and it is wearing on me.  I strive for peace, but when I mention it, their yells for more war drowns me out.
~

My Psalm 121

I look nervously at the challenges that lie ahead.
How am I going to get through this?
The Lord my God, the One who created everything I see, He will help me along the way.
He will help you to, to keep your feet steady.
When you are exhausted and weary, He who is always well-rested will protect you, just like he protected Israel.
He is like a warm cabin that is comfortingly near.
Legitimate physical threats will not hurt you, and neither will the ones your mind makes up along the way.
He's not going to just protect you from the cuts and bruises of the trip, but He will protect your very life.
And as He demonstrates His power and desire to protect you right now, know that He will continue to do so for the rest of forever.
~

No comments: